END OF YEAR UPDATE 2012


GROWING, GOING, GONE.
END OF YEAR UPDATE for 2012

Sitting at my kitchen counter, 3:30 am seems like a decent time to start writing the End of Year Update. Inside it feels like I have not written in ages. There is always an excitement and anticipation for what is not yet, but what will be – once I sit my rear down and do what I have set my mind to do. Talk to you. I am certain much good will come of it.

I realize it has been quite a while. Did not mean to let that much time pass us by, but I suppose these next few paragraphs will explain where I have been in the absence of writing to some of you over this last year. Focusing on being right where I am and nowhere else.

Lord Jesus, please help us. Help us to grow up. To do what we know we should do. Help us to get going. Get going with our prayer life, with memorizing your precious word. May we be more alert, more aware of how our every decision and action (as well as our non decision and non action) may be seriously influencing and affecting those around us. Let us remember the truth about what you say and reflect upon your continual faithfulness and examine ourselves daily to make certain we are diligently seeking first your Kingdom. Help us to live in such a way that when we are gone, when we are no longer treading upon this earth, our obedience is still bearing lasting fruit, and we will have left genuine substance for others to benefit from. Quicken us all to realize and wake up to what time it is and how close eternity is to us. In Jesus name let it be so.

Obviously I sure hope you will be able to follow me through some of the missing details here and there. I’m trying to tell what I remember in between my late night, half night, up all night sleeping habits. Get your goggles on.

The beginning of 2012 started out in Columbia Missouri...spending time with Dylan's family and some of our close friends. My mom-in-love took me shopping and bought me some cute tops, and a hoodie (I've put some miles on that hoodie this year).

We got back to Canada for Dylan to continue studies and he had a few trips with the school that he needed to take. Probably about 4 or 5 trips total spring semester. He was even gone for his 30th birthday. The Man got back the night of his birthday, ready to get some rest. Dylan and his brother Jared later on exchanged some gear, I mean gifts, and we spent a few minutes in one another’s company.  

Most all of the trips were only a few days long each. Except for the last one was 7 days. And it just so happened to fall on the last seven days we were in Canada (the end of April)...so I packed as much as I could, with the help of a dear friend.  We cleaned some...and were very hopeful to have everything done by the time he returned (so we could leave immediately). It did not happen like I planned. I did get a lot done, but our sweet neighbors offered their assistance and then Dylan ended up packing the car for some additional hours. When everything you own has to fit in the car, some serious effort and thought time is invested… it's a job.

Thankful to our friends Vern and Arlene who volunteered some space in one of their barn's to hold a few pieces of Dylan's winter gear, and basically store a few tupperware containers until we returned.

Once a week, thanks to the school providing counseling, I was able to go to grievance counseling appointments. Very helpful and encouraging (and looking back) necessary. Overall, Ms. Bonnie (the counselor) would ask me questions that no one else was asking me…and when you are almost a year to eight months into a season of grief…it really is critical, not to just assume you are doing ok. Sometimes all it takes to help you process your feelings and go to the next step is having someone ask you a simple question. Dylan has been there for me as much as possible, but he also has a full load on him and assignments due and much required of him. In a way, after each counseling session, it opened the door for us to talk about what we had not been talking about or what we would otherwise not necessarily be thinking of talking about. Also, it helped me to focus better, and kept me accountable for getting rest and taking time to journal and think through what season I was in. It was an intentional meeting with an older godly woman once a week. I truly suggest deliberately seeking out mentorship or having an older person speak into your life on a regular basis if possible.

On top of everything else that was required of Dylan, he would take the time to go for hikes with me between trips, and we did spend a snowy night by a lake...camping. Very beautiful and refreshing and fun.

It's been good having Jared and Jean nearby for visits and sharing meals and for times of prayer. I'm praying that the brothers would be able to spend more time together while they are in the same zip code. Both of them are fairly busy and have different schedules, so it's really difficult for them to be able to coordinate times that will work for both of them.

Before we left for the summer, I was able to have tea with our new neighbors next door. They moved in weeks before, built a mother in law suite downstairs for the grandma that had been diagnosed with intestinal cancer years back. The grandma's name was Helen Esau. 77 year old sweetheart, that made time for others, shared her heart and from what I could tell a very dear Saint. Tammy and Orlando took some of our boxes of books and pots and pans and things we did not have time to take to Vern & Arlene’s barn…they put it in their garage and later took it to the barn for us. Tammy wrote us a sweet encouragement on our way out. (I later recycled that note for my little brother’s birthday two months later.)

We were trying to get to Florida by Mother's day so that I could be together with my siblings for the anniversary of our Mom going to heaven. We stopped by Columbia Missouri for a week, and on our way to Florida, we stopped in to visit our friend's Mom in Arkansas. Cindy had recently lost her husband and her dad to illnesses. It was a short visit, but a good one. In some way, being at her house reminded me of and felt a lot like walking in my mom's house after being gone for a while. Was very thankful to give her a hug and meet her for the first time in person. She keeps in touch with us. She always tells me she loves me and misses me. She’s an artist. She made me a matching necklace and bracelet during our first visit. She’s such a mom. She snuck some gas money in my backpack somehow before we left…I found it when we were miles down the road. Needless to say, we praised God for His many blessings.

I forgot to mention that before we left Canada. Pauline Liechty called just to say that she was looking for to us coming and was excited for us to get there. Again, it was no small thing to my heart to get that call from her. Aunt Pauline and Uncle Leon have literally been my family since the day I met them. Caring for and praying with me and my siblings and my nieces and nephews, so deeply and sincerely, as if we belonged to them. 

Once we got to Lillian, Alabama, it was late at night we had been on the road for hours and hours.  We were so tired from traveling, did not have time to stop by the store or room for that matter in the car. The car was packed. They had everything ready for us. I could have cried. The place was prepared for us so that honestly we did not have to go to the store for the first week if we did not want too. Did I ever feel loved and that feeling of “It was good to be home.” This was our second summer staying in their downstairs apartment. First day home, went strawberry picking with both of them. Good way to start the day.

My older sister and her husband and their three blessings came from Savannah, Georgia and rented a condo for all of us siblings to get together. Melanie and Kenny and their four boys from Foley had us over and met us at the beach. Once or twice Terry joined us. The week went by fast. We went over to Kenny's Mom's house for mother's day, just like we did last year. She loves all of us kids, such a sweet lady to open her house and her heart so freely.

Thanks be to God, the Lord provided jobs for both of us within about a week of us arriving, thanks to Brian Liechty letting us know who needed what. A dear man, Mr Peebles owns a blueberry/black berry farm right down the street from where we were staying...hired us both to do some picking and weeding. Then another farm down the way heard that we were available for picking and weeding and also asked us to work for them. We enjoyed some long, hot, summer days together. Sometimes swimming in the pond, going to the beach, riding bikes, picking figs, or riding Uncle Leon's riding lawn mower around. He generously paid me to ride it when I had the time, and I looked forward to it. It’s what I liked doing in my teenage years growing up when I had the chance too.

We celebrated our 1 year anniversary with a hike through the woods in Gulf Shores, spotted a baby alligator, don't worry we did not pitch our tent right there. We pitched it near a lake. After going out to eat at a nice seafood restaurant, taking a long walk on the beach, and taking a shower in the state park bathhouse, we momentarily dozed off to sleep...only to wake up to gail force winds, lightening, and some very obvious signs that it would be in our best interest to pack up the tent and head for home. So that's what we did at 2:am.  For some reason it did not surprise me. Our wedding day was a storm and half, so why shouldn't our anniversary be too. 

Mr. Peebles 91 year old Mom passed away suddenly one day before our time was done there in Lillian, Alabama. When I went to her memorial service, more than half the church was filled with her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren, and others gathered to honor and recount the days of this precious woman's life on earth. She feared the Lord and welcomed strangers as family, gave generously, and loved her family so much. She had just given us some veggies out of her garden days ago. It was somewhat difficult to sit through the service and not think of how they must be feeling, when my siblings and I had just passed through losing our Mom barely a year ago.

It was time to get going third week in July. Heading to Savannah in hopes of making it in time for my niece, Reagan's, birthday. We spent about a week with them or so. Then left and made in home to Missouri in time for Dylan’s Mom’s birthday. We made her a little bench out of sticks and rubber bands, and wood burned one of her favorite verses to a platform of wood it was sitting on…In hopes of reminding her to ‘rest.’


Pretty sure we were in Missouri for almost three weeks. Dylan and I were blessed by a dear friend who had wanted me to do some work for her, but she forgot to get a hold of me in time or had something else planned and called me over for a quick visit. She said she had already gotten the job done, but wanted to give me a hug and a check...that the Lord had told her to pay me anyway.

Speaking of blessings - I was able to take a bus for a few days and go see my friends in Indiana. Carmen, dear woman of God, has been a second Mom to me over the years. Since my Mom’s been gone – she has gone out of her way to let me know how much she cares for me. She insisted I have at least one night of uninterrupted rest at a nice hotel. She spoiled me as soon as I got to town. She cooked a bunch of delicious food for me.  Had me over to sit under the Gazebo, relax, watch the birds, and made me some good hot drinks. She made sure to give me a load of hugs and tell me she loves me so many times. Gave me some really cute clothes, and multiple other things to bless me for days to come... one of her sons gave me a Shofar, that he personally ordered, sanded, and finished.
Literally, one of the most beautiful gifts anyone has ever given me. Dylan and I are still months later, blowing it daily to sound the alarm, to call all to repentance, to remind any who will hear…THE KING IS COMING!!!

Before leaving Indiana, One of my friend’s Jen, took some long walks with me. I spent one night with her, in an apartment above a co-op downtown Evansville. We stayed up late, having tea, and talking about worthy things. She met me at the bus station when I first arrived just to give me a hug and say hi. She offered her car for me to drive while I was in town. She was continually an expression of love and a servant’s heart. She stood with me and read scripture to me at the bus station. It was so incredibly kind, and meaningful to my heart.

The Weibert family, per usual, blessed my socks off. Benjamin and Elizabeth gave me a personalized four wheeler, tractor trailer ride around their property through a soybean field, and in some surrounding fields. Angie hand sowed me some cloth napkins, a skirt, and gave me a newer pair of shoes. Each of them put stuff in my back pack…a pair of binoculars, a cell phone to replace the old beat up barely working cell phone I’ve had since I can’t remember when, gave me a book and a pile of tea bags. Most of all, made time to sit and share their hearts with me. Right before I left they printed me out some www.AllEyesOnTheKing.com cards…that came in handy later on when we were selling art at the Flea Market.

So thankful for all the financial gifts that were so timely and generous by all who felt lead and were obedient to that still small voice.  When I got back, our brakes needed to be worked on again before we crossed the country. Overall, any money we had made over the summer went towards car repairs. Anything extra went towards gas money to get us back up north in time for Dylan to start classes. We acknowledge and recognize that only the grace of God carried us back again. We are so thankful to the Lord who knows our needs, and to the Saints of God for being obedient.

Upon arriving back to British Columbia, we moved into the dorms, a downstairs apartment, with no closets, or furniture. The maintenance guys welcomed us to use anything they had in the basement along the lines of possible furniture choices. We took a card table and a few chairs. We found a free art table on craigslist. Picked up a few things that had been stored at Vern and Arlene’s and started unpacking.

Dylan started his third year classes in the fall, putting off the second year trips until next fall. He figured it would be best since he was gone on trips the last two semesters, to stick around and just take classes that would not require him to be gone this time around. It did work out well. He will hopefully be on the same trips now with Jared this coming fall 2013.

I started working part time for a cleaning company. Dylan has been working part time for the school. We have been very blessed to be able to have people over for dinner.  We both still enjoy painting and wood burning when we can. Every other weekend, we have tried to set up a table at the local flea market, if we sell something or if we don’t, we are available to talk to people and are there with scripture displayed for all to see.

In Oct, I was able to go to my friend’s wedding. Her dad had passed away seven months prior. She was there for me right after my mom passed and I really wanted to be there for her. The Lord worked it out and it was a huge blessing to my heart. Again, got to spend some time with Cindy, her mom and meet the rest of their family. I really was thankful to be there and a witness to the Lord’s faithfulness. After the wedding, thanks to another friend letting me borrow her car, I was able to drive and see my sister Michele. I cannot express how precious my time was with her. Just made me miss her more… she always has a way of making you feel so loved.

A few days after I returned from the wedding a friend called with a job referral. A private Christian school in Surrey needed an assistant female guide for 3 day summit trip with 2 dozen youth. I was able to go and it was most certainly a highlight to my fall season. One blessing after the other. And did I mention I got paid to do what I like to do? The Lord is so kind to us.

We spent Thanksgiving at Jared and Jean’s house, eating and visiting with them and a friend they had invited over. Worshipped the Lord and gave thanks for all that He is to us.

The week of Dylan’s finals, ten days before Christmas, I was able to go visit my siblings and nieces and nephews. What a gift. And it was a gift when I was able to return home and spend time in my husband’s arms. We spent the holiday season mostly at home together (which is a treat in itself). We were able to visit some of our friends in Washington. Our Friends Harry and Luna, Carl, Emmanuel and Eleni, had us over to their house for dinner and fellowship.

So since we last visited in person, on the phone, or by email…I have been growing, going, and these finals thoughts are probably something I do not bother sharing for one reason or another. It feels like I’m gone in my own little world sometimes. I appreciate it when some of you write and ask questions or call. It helps…

Because at times I feel GONE… somewhere in my thoughts thinking about the frailty of life, how seasons change so fast, my nieces and nephews are growing up, and how I miss them and each of my siblings all the time, and how grateful I am to the Lord for keeping us all. I still find myself saying…”My Mom did this or My Mom liked that…” I realize sometimes that I’m whistling when I’m by myself just like my mom would while she was doing chores or cooking. I enjoy doodling sometimes, my Mom would do that too while she was talking on the phone or thinking about something.  I have plant life in my living room.  I have an ivy plant, some green onions, and so far I’ve sprouted 6 potato plants. I grew up with Landscaping and plant nursery. My mom always had plants around. I like to cook a lot. Mom did too. Get a lot of joy out of making good soups or meals that people really enjoy eating. I’ve pretty much stopped telling Mom’s picture that I miss her. It makes me very sad to think that I would ever forget her or not think of her. Sometimes when the tears come I wonder if I’m crying the tears she never took time to cry for all her hurts. There are times in my tiredness that I think about how hard she worked and how tired she was and yet she never did much for herself.  Her efforts were always outward focused. Doing for others and thinking of her children and grandkids. I am trying to make rest a priority and memorizing God’s word.

If you have gotten to this point in the ‘’update’’ ---- thanks for reading all of it. Hope and pray for the day to come when we will cross paths again. Until then, never hesitate to write a letter or email or call. May the Lord continually cause you to grow up into Him, and keep you running and going for the goal that is Christ Jesus, and let everything that seeks to keep you distant, drained, or down be GONE from you in Jesus name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME DEVOTED

DEAR CHILDREN OF GOD

HINDSIGHT 2020